In our house, we love our game food. And tonight's the National Championship. That's right. Number 1 Alabama and Number 2 Texas.

Since it's 5 degrees outside (and well below zero degrees when you factor in the windchill), and our world has been covered in snow since Christmas Day, we voted on chili as our go-to dish for tonight. This is my standard (and so simple!) chili recipe, but I'm titling it National Championship Chili because this is the first time I've published it. I think the name gives it a little swagger, too!

National Championship Chili


For a solid 6-8 hearty servings (I'm feeding big guys with big appetites), you'll need:
1 lb. ground beef
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 cans of Bush's Best Chili Beans in Chili Sauce (Medium) -- I like Bush's best, but use whatever brand of beans you like.
1 yellow onion
6-8 garlic cloves
2 fresh jalapenos
Chili Powder, Cumin, Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper -- all to your taste. I add the spices a a couple of points during the cooking, testing after the first addition to see how much more I might need (I always need some more!). If you're patient enough to do this, you'll end up much happier with your results than if you use a standard measurement.

Super Simple Prep

Brown the ground beef in the bottom of your chili pot (I know you have one!). When the beef is just about browned through, add the onion, garlic and jalapeno, all of which you will have chopped pretty fine while the meat is browning. At this point, I also add the first round of spices. I'm pretty generous with the chili powder and cumin (although less cumin than chili powder). I use just a pinch of the red pepper flakes. Then a liberal dose of the garlic powder (don't ask me why I use garlic and garlic powder, but it works for me), a liberal dose of salt, and a pretty liberal dose of black pepper. But you use the spices the way you like -- don't be afraid!

After the veggies have softened and the meat is fully browned, add your cans of crushed tomato and tomato sauce. Let it simmer for a few minutes and then taste. At this point, I always have another go round with the spices, but you be the judge of your own chili.

I let the meat, veggie and tomato mixture simmer together for about an hour, to let the flavors gather. Then I add the two cans of beans. I don't drain the beans, because I like the chili sauce, so it all goes in the pot.

I let this all simmer together for another 30 minutes or so. And we're done.

Serve with oyster crackers, tortillas, or tortilla chips.

Queso Dip So Easy I Can't Even Take Credit

Especially since I use Velveeta "Cheese."

Get out your crockpot (I use a smaller one) and throw in about 2/3 of a large brick of Velveeta, sliced. Then just add whatever chili-friendly ingredients you want. Tonight I threw in some chopped jalapenos and a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis. Once the queso has melted down, I add about three ladles of my chili to the mix. Yummy.

Mix and match the chili, the queso, the chips, etc. any way you want.

0 comments