Sebastian's Dirty Rice

My husband's office is having a "soul food sampler" lunch tomorrow. Evidently, he was one of the last people to get to the sign-up list and ended up having to bring dirty rice, which was one of the last few items that no one else had signed up for.

His first move was to ask me how to prepare dirty rice. His second, third and fourth moves were to suggest, in a variety of ways and over several days, that I should prepare the dirty rice for him. I resisted, for his own good, and, finally, he was faced with the reality that I was going to leave him on his own for this particular project.

Not that I don't know how to make dirty rice. I just figured it would mean that much more to the folks in his office if he put a little love into the dish he's gonna share with them.

Well, he got home late and still needed to cook, so he ended up taking a bit of a shortcut. Which I'm sure all of you busy cooks can appreciate.

So, in the interest of promoting what's quick and easy AND still tastes good, here's tonight's recipe for dirty rice:

2 packages of Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix
2 lbs. turkey sausage
1 cup chopped onion

Follow directions on package, substituting the sausage for the traditional chicken livers. By the way, the chicken livers are what gives dirty rice it's muddy color, so you're rice might not be so dirty if you use the sausage. Personally, I like the livers -- and when I make dirty rice that's what I use.

0 comments